Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Sweet Pork Salad

A couple of Sundays ago we made Sweet Pork Salad, a copy cat recipe for Cafe Rio or Costa Vida pork salad I found on the Internet. It turned out so good. We couldn't decide if we liked it better. It really did taste just like the ones you get at the restaurant.


Sweet Pork

Ingredients:

1 (3-5 lb.) sirloin or boneless pork loin roast

1 cup medium or hot salsa

1 cup packed brown sugar

some coke


Method:

Place ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours. Shred pork before serving.




Cilantro-Lime Rice


Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked converted white rice (we used brown)

1 teaspoon butter

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon grated lime peel (zest)

1 can chicken broth

1/4 cup water

2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

2 teaspoons sugar
3 Tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro


Method:
In a saucepan combine rice, butter, garlic, lime zest, chicken broth and water Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, and cilantro. Pour over hot cooked rice. Serve warm.


Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing


Ingredients:


1 envelope Ranch Salad dressing
6 tomatillos, (we used canned)

1 clove garlic, minced

Juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes

1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro


Method:


Make Ranch salad dressing as instructed. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour over pork and rice in a salad.




3 comments:

  1. I love sweet pork salads. Now I wanna hit cafe rio :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! Looks just like cafe rio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that looks so yummy. I have yet to eat at Cafe Rio...I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, though.

    BTW, of course I remember you, although we didn't really get to work together during my stint at Clark's, I take pride in my little hometown and I love hearing from fellow B-town-ites. I'm glad you left a comment on my blog, now I can hop over to yours and see how that cute, little, Miles Jr, girl of yours is doing. She is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete