Friday, July 3, 2009

My Social Security Birthday!

A couple years ago my SIL Nicole was doing our taxes. It was the first year we were married. Before I was married my dad had always done them for me, and I think he always just sent them in. Nicole was e-filing ours. We waited the last day to file....never a good idea. When you e-file, you will get an e-mail saying whether or not it was excepted. We got our e-mail back and it was denied. They said my birthday was wrong. I checked over it and they had my right birthday (07-06-1983). I don't know how they could tell me it was wrong. I think I know when my birthday is! We tried to resubmit it, and again it came back...same reason. Wrong birthday. What the hell? By now I'm freaking out. Taxes are due! We printed the papers that said "copy, do not file" all over them. I couldn't find the actual tax forms. My mom came down that night and got our taxes so she couldn't mail them the next day. Talk about stressed out. I thought I was going to have to go to jail because my taxes were going to be late and I didn't even know when my birthday was.
The IRS got our taxes and everything was good. I guess they didn't care that I sent them on the "do not file" copies.
I was still stressed about my birthday, so one day I was doing a google search about what happened to me and I came across a couple of stories similar to mine. The problem with everyone I read about was that the Social Security people had a different birthday than there actual birthday. So I called the number on the back of my social security card thinking I could be having the same problem. They wouldn't tell me what they had on file but they did tell me it wasn't 07-06-1983 (my actual birthday).
A couple weeks later the Social Security people came to town. I left work on a break to get this taken care of. I was there for 2 hours waiting. When I finally saw the lady, she took notes, looked at my birth certificate and told me it was going to be fixed. I felt relief.
I was glad the next year was going to be easier when it came to filling taxes. Boy, was I wrong. They were declined again...wrong birthday! I was pissed. That stupid lady said she was going to fix it. I wasted 2 plus hours of my life in this small waiting room doing nothing. The worst thing was I had no idea when the Social Security people thought my birthday was.
So we filed the taxes the old fashion way. We mailed them in. At least it wasn't the last day.
A couple days after filling our taxes I got a Social Security statement in the mail. It told me my birthday!
July 03, 1983
If they want to believe my birthday is July 03, than so be it. I already tried to change it once.
This last year doing taxes was great. We put in my Social Security birthday and it was accepted. The first year to e-file.
My mom tells me I can't have two birthdays, but I keep telling her I have proof that I have two birthdays and if she can come up with proof that she has two birthdays than she can also have two.
So, Happy Social Security Birthday to me!

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny!! I vaguely remember hearing that story!!! Well hell, if you have TWO Birthdays, milk it for all its worth!!!

    Are you excited for the 4th? Maybe I should come to Blanding.....

    ReplyDelete