Friday, May 8, 2009

Flashback Friday : Miley's laughing party

According to Navajo (or Dine) tradition, a baby is considered to be of two worlds at birth: that of the holy people and that of the earth people. As weeks pass, adults wait and listen for the child's first chuckle - a sign of joy that signals his/her desire to join his earth family and community. In Navajo culture, it is believed that a child assumes the qualities of the person who witnesses, or coaxes, his/her first giggle. To commemorate this event, the laugh witness hosts a A'wee Chi'deedioh ("The Baby Laughed") ceremony.

I personally was not planning on having this party for Miley. I have a friend who does belive and has done this for all her kids ask me if I believed or was planning on having a laughing party for Miley when she laughed. I told her she didn't have to worry if she made Miley laugh because I wasn't going to have a laughing party.

On September 30 , 2008, I went to pick Miley up at Grandma Harrison's house after work. I put her in her car seat so we could get ready to go and I was talking to her and all of a sudden she laughed at me. I looked at Beverly in suprise, and thought "did I just hear her laugh for the first time?". Her laugh was so cute!

Beverly than told me I have to throw a laughing party now and she has been trying to get Miley to laugh for days.

I didn't know if Beverly was serious because she isn't Navajo, so I asked Miles about it and he called his mom and asked her about it because I don't know anything about throwing this party. We than found out from Grandpa Harrison, who is Navajo, that its mainly just a get together with lots of food.

We went to Farmington that Friday so we could get Miley a cake and a present. We got Miley a Baby Einsten's activity center and a huge cake from Sam's Club.

That Saturday, October 4, we had her party at our house. We had hamburgers, salads, cake, cupcakes and ice cream. It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of family over. Miley really did enjoy her party and so did everyone else. I'm glad I did thow her a laughing party and I'm glad I was the first one to make her laugh.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered about that laughing party, so I am glad you explained it here.

    Okay...funny story, a couple weeks back Grant and the young men at church were doing this service project for a navajo family in our ward. They were helping with the landscaping or something like that. Well to make a long story short, this particular family happens to live right next to one of my good girlfriends who has a baby a little younger then Crew. This little babies name is Joseph. Well, my friend and baby Joseph went over to see how the young men activity was going because her husband was over there as well, when the navajo lady started asking my friend Laura (Joseph's mom) if she had Joseph a laughing party yet. Now keep in mind that Laura is as WHITE as they come. She is also from back east and has NO CLUE about any of the Navajo traditions. She was probably very confused as to what a laughing party was. Laura is such a sweet girl, and politely just said they didn't have one for him.

    Meanwhile, Grant is overhearing all of this and we keep meaning to explain to Laura what a laughing party is so that way she doesnt think she missed out on some huge event in Josephs life.

    Did that make sense? If not, I will explain it to you tomorrow when I see you guys! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete